Montana State University

Policies and Procedures: Professional Development Courses Offered for Academic Credit

The Office of Continuing Education at Extended University offers both face-to-face and online learning opportunities:

  • Degree Programs
  • Certificate Programs
  • Professional Development
  • Summer Field Study Programs
  • Study Abroad
  • Leisure and Lifelong Learning
  • Youth Programs

Types of Professional Development Courses Offered for Academic Credit

588 rubric courses

Formal admission to Montana State University is not required to take a 588 course. These courses fulfill professional development needs of in-service educators. They are considered academic credit, but used for recertification and salary lane changes. However, you should always check with your school district before registering to make sure the course will fulfil these requirements. Credit from 588 courses MAY NOT be used towards a degree program at Montana State University.

Sponsored (Non-588) courses

Formal admission as degree-seeking or non-degree seeking is required to enroll in an academic credit course that does not use the 588 rubric. These courses might be used in a degree program and must be approved by the academic department on your Program of Study. Please check the course description for additional information on applying to Montana State University, if required.


See course descriptions for professional development courses offered for academic credit.

Registration options

Depending on the course, the registration process may vary. The course description will identify the registration process for the course.

  • On-site registration on the first day of class
  • Online registration through Extended University


Full payment is required at the time of registration. MUS tuition and fee waivers do not qualify for professional development courses offered for academic credit. If you are enrolled in other courses you must pay the full registration fee, even if you have reached the tuition cap.


Students wishing to drop a course should email request to

Refund Policy

Students will receive full refunds for drops before the course begins minus a $50 administrative fee. Refunds are not provided for drops received after a course begins.


Grades will be posted on an official transcript at MSU. You may request an official copy of your transcript.


Contact Extended University at 406-994-6550, 1-866-540-5660 (toll-free) or